1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Finally going to Japan, need some tips.

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by xmog123x, Jul 16, 2017.

1. xmog123x

xmog123x Peppy Member

I will be going in the worst time possible - hot and humid end of july/beginning of august.
    Quick summary of the trip so maybe you can understand for what I would need tips:
    July 23-30 is a thing called RoboCup in Nagoya where our humanoid robots will be playing soccer autonomously. After the competition we are going to Tokyo (1-6 august) and then flying back from Nagoya Airport. We are planning to take the shinkansen on the way back (is the Kodama Shinkansen hard to organize?). On the way to Tokyo we will probably buy the Seishun 18 Kippu, and go with local trains, to take it slow and admire the landscape from the train. The thing is, we don't want to carry our robots all the way to Tokyo and back as each of them weighs around 7kg + accesories + suitcase weight. Is there any specialized luggage storage service that will hold our luggage for the 6 days and won't cost us an arm and a leg? We are talking about 6-7 large suitcases.

Also, I'm planning on doing some game hunting, I've found some book offs, hard offs and hobby offs in Nagoya, and will visit the osu district as well. In Tokyo I'm planning to go and see Akihabara - more to look around than to game hunt as I am aware it's a tourist trap. Apart from Nakano Broadway where could I get some good game deals? Is there a hard off/book off that would have a good selection for retro stuff? What I wanted to buy on this trip is a megadrive + mega cd combo, some tatacons, a couple of SFC games and all the bargain bin stuff I can fit in between. I will be stationed in between Shinjuku and Shibuya so any tips on good foodery would be welcome as well.

Cheers!

2. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Stay in the same hotel upon your return from wherever you are going, even if its just the last night. The hotel would happily hold on to your luggage for 6 days. I had no trouble asking this to hotels in the past, never got a no can't do. I bet they would even hold on to it for 6 days if you would not stay with them upon return, however that is pushing it :)

Be aware Sega MD/CD combo's are much more expensive in Japan then US/EU. Not sure this is the best hardware to be hunting for.

Try to find a Manga Souko store while you are travelling around.

3. pato

pato Fiery Member

1) Lure the peacocks and create a peacock army (don't?)

2) Fight the swans (don't)

3) Do the "bang" mimic with people in Osaka, they will react according.

4) Try to slash the people in Osaka with a imaginary sword, they will do the same as the number 3.

5) SuperPotato might help you with the games section.

4. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

The real trick is to find a SuperPatato that is not listed on google maps. You would be amazed to know a couple are and the prices are lower as they have less tourists coming in.

5. Japan-Games.com

Japan-Games.com Well Known Member

I was last there in April and most of the retro game shops seem to just have a handful of items in really good condition for higher prices. Back in the past they used to work on volume, and that's where you would hear the stories about walking into a shop and seeing tons of used consoles for cheap, but I don't see much of that anymore. I don't think they have many people coming in to the shops and trading things in so they are mostly focusing on a smaller number of better quality items and charging more for them.
    A loooooong time ago (has it been 10 years already?) I went to a Super Potato in Osaka and they had new/unused Super Famicoms for about $130 each. Just a stack of them on the floor. Super Potato used to have stacks of Neo Geo AES consoles and you'd sort through them to find the best one, but now it's a handful of fully boxed consoles for prices that are higher than eBay. They cater more to the collector now instead of trying to get someone to spend $30 on a used Dreamcast impulse buy to relive some memories.
    That being said, you'll still love it. Super Potato in Broadway Nakano still has the glass case with a lot of items that you'll only have the chance to see in real life when you're there. It's also good to find individual software titles in good/complete condition, which is nice when you have a short list of things you need to complete a collection.
    As for Akihabara, it's not really a tourist trap. They will have the big shops that line the front of the streets with a lot of bells and whistles, but the thing with Aikhabara is you need to just walk in buildings, walk up the stairs, walk into the mom and pop shops, and see what you run into. You'll find some very niche, small shops that will have lots to see. The exploration is the fun part.
    About the Kodama....I believe that is the slower Shinkansen. Be careful because it will stop at every smaller station along the way. Time is important when you're overseas so spending a little extra money to get another 2 or 3 hours off a train and in a game shop is worth it. You want to avoid things like paying $25 for a taxi instead of a $4 train ticket.
    Shunjuku/Shibuya is a great area to stay in. Shibuya is amazing at night and Harajuku is within walking distance. It's also easy to get to Nakano from that area as well. Check out Alcatraz E.R, Kawaii Monster Cafe, or Gonpachi (Kill Bill Restaurant) if you want a fun Japanese experience. Or just walk down the street in Shibuya and see the Mario Cart tourists driving around.